2013 Lown Conference
The 2013 invitation-only Lown Conference: From Avoidable Care to Right Care will gather clinicians, patient advocates, and civic leaders to deepen our mutual understanding of the cultural, scientific, and ethical issues surrounding the overuse of medical services. Attendees will leave the meeting with priorities for addressing this pervasive problem, and a network of collaborators prepared to begin building bridges to the right care in their communities.
When: Tuesday December 3, 2013 at 8:00 AM -- Wednesday December 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Registration: For registration information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Major themes at this year's event:
- fostering a new conversation among clinicians, patients, and civil society
- envisioning health and health care 25 years from now
- understanding the moral and spiritual dimensions of overuse
- exploring fear and loathing around medical malpractice
- Don Berwick, MD, MPH, Former Administrator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Harlan Krumholz, MD, Harold H. Hines, Jr. Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology and Public Health at Yale University School of Medicine
- Katy Butler, Author of Knocking on Heaven's Door
- Rushika Fernandopulle, MD, Co-Founder and CEO, Iora Health
- Bernard Lown, MD, Professor Emeritus, Harvard School of Public Health; Senior Physician (ret.), Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
- Rosemary Gibson, Author of Wall of Silence, The Treatment Trap, Battle Over Health Care, and Medicare Meltdown. Senior Advisor, Hastings Center
- Rabbi Richard Address, D.Min, Senior Rabbi, Congregation Mkor Shalom
- Brent C. James, M.D., M.Stat., Executive Director, Institute for Health Care Delivery Research
The conference agenda is available here.
Our working groups on Medical Education, Public Engagement, International Collaboration, Choosing Wisely, and Setting the Research Agenda will convene for a working session on December 5, 2013 following the conference. If you are interested in participating in one of these working groups, please email us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For conference updates, please follow us on Twitter @lowninstitute!